TEST

Y A W N I N G P O R T A L

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Light Years- Gandahar



" IN A THOUSAND YEARS GANDAHAR WAS DESTROYED. A THOUSAND YEARS  AGO GANDAHAR WILL BE SAVED, AND WHAT CANT BE AVOIDED WILL BE."






I just recently watched a movie I haven't seen since it came out back in the 80s-Light Years. When it came out I remember being awed by the strange science fantasy of it all. From the City of Jasper and the Council of Women, to the Deformed, the Automatons and the Metamorphis, and the uniquely alien  and organic world of Gandahar. For anyone interested in creating a world with a science fantasy setting, this movie is definitely one to see. I loved the Deformed or the " Was/Will- Be's" and liked that they weren't portrayed as cruel and evil or mentally deranged like aberrations often are. The flora and fauna of the world reminded me of things Ive read out of Jack Vance and that are also unique to the world of Talislanta game setting ( I'm sure they drew some of their ideas from this movie). I can see this movie being a great setting for a long campaign set in Gandahar using either D&D or Gama world or both. Its certainly given me some ideas about working on a science fantasy setting myself.

There is also a great quote from Isaac Asimov ( who helped translate the French version to English):

We speak of Time and Mind, which do not easily yield to categories.
We separate past and future and find that Time is an amalgam of both.
We separate good and evil and find that Mind is an amalgam of both.
To understand, we must grasp the whole.

Another quote in the movie  I liked was, " its a doorway to the future, like all doorways are" .....WOW.

Has anyone else seen this movie and if so, has it inspired your game settings in any way?

1 comment: